sleep

escapades moments of bustling professional life | revelation of flaws of the little red dot | shire for my thoughts to my loved ones

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

rock

email from my fellow blkhead basu - aka the 'rock', sturdy and reliable buddy


***

Dear friends,

How have you all been? I hope things are going good for everyone. In case some of you do not know, I am currently in Nepal, maybe even permanently. I was unable to get an Employment Pass in Singapore and have since come back to Nepal. I am sorry I could not meet up with some of you before leaving as things happened all too suddenly.

Having been here for about 3 weeks, I am already missing the life in Singapore and the good times we all used to have. Having spent such a major part of my life in Singapore, being here in Nepal makes me feel so empty.
Coming back here has made me experience many new things and also given me an opportunity to meet up with relatives I have not seen for years. When I am around them, I am occupied in conversations and somehow feel so much more comfortable and happy. However, when its time to sleep or when I am by myself, I can't help but think about Singapore and all the friends I have left behind.

During the first 2 weeks, I basically attended my Grandma's funeral in the village. This was the best opportunity for me to meet new people as well as all my relatives from various parts of Nepal. I also met up with many of my childhood friends, some of whom I could hardly recognize after so many years. However, we were still able to recall all the good and bad times we had back then.

In the midst of all these happy meetings, an unfortunate incident took place. One night, I was sitting in our balcony with several of my relatives. It was right after dinner and there was a heavy thunderstorm. We were chatting away when a lightning suddenly struck the electrical wires near us. That caused a sudden blackout and at the same time, hit a metal pole beside us. Part of the lightning also struck my aunt. She started screaming in pain and then went unconscious. The rest of us who were nearby also felt the current rush up our bodies. At that moment, I thought we were all going to die. The situation was made worse by the darkness. We were soon able to light a candle and attend to our aunt. There was no way of getting external help so we lay our aunt on the mattress and tried to revive her. Fortunately, she could hear us but was too weak to respond or even open her eyes. This went on for 7 hours. She finally opened her eyes at around 4 am and could say a few words very softly. The next morning, we called a doctor and placed her under drip.
That was a truly scary night for all of us. That single lightning was so powerful that it caused several TV sets in the village to explode and some of my relatives who were on their beds were thrown to the floor. In another village, 5 people died and 35 were seriously injured. I never imagined that a single lightning could cause such damage.

A week later, I was at home in the city. For the first time, I got a chance to watch soccer on TV and check my mail. I also visited an Indian barber for a haircut and a shave. You won't believe this but I only paid 50 cents for a haircut, a shave and a shoulder massage!

I am currently staying in the capital city with my cousin. We have rented an apartment here. Life is really boring as there is nothing uch to do except to buy movies and watch. Movies in DVD form are super cheap as well. One costs just S$1.00.

Well, I think I have taken quite a bit of all your time. Thanks for your patience. I hope to come to Singapore soon and meet up with you guys. In the meantime, take care of yourselves and do update me of any new and interesting happenings there.

Best Regards,
Basu

*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home